I bought a lovely wild sea bass today from Fin & Flounder. While in Greece mostly we grill or fry everything I’ve decided to steam this one. Quick, easy and delicious!
- 1 Sea bass, weighing 1 kg, cleaned and scaled
- 4 tbsp Soy sauce
- 4 tbsp Chinese Rice Wine
- 3 tbsp Root Ginger, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and cut into fine threads
- 4 Spring onions, cut into fine threads
- 2 tbsp Sesame oil
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- zest of 1 lime
- salt & black pepper
1. Make four diagonal slashes across each side of the fish so that it cooks more easily.
2. Stir together the soy sauce, rice wine, and the ginger, and set aside. Rub the fish inside and out with the sesame oil and salt.
3. Place the fish on a heatproof plate that will just fit into your steamer, allowing a little room around the edges so that the steam can circulate and pour over half of the sauce.
4. Place the dish in the steamer or on the rack, cover, and steam for 10–12 minutes, or until the fish is cooked through and flakes easily when tested with a knife.
5. Transfer the fish to a serving dish and sprinkle with ginger, garlic, lime zest, chilli and spring onions.
6. Put the vegetable oil quickly into a small saucepan and heat until very hot. Immediately pour over the fish and flavourings.
7. Drizzle on with the remaining sauce and serve.