Ingredients (serves 4)
- 800gr dried salt cod (boneless)
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 150ml (approximately) olive oil
- 2 cans tomato
- flour – enough to coat fish
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 red pepper, sliced
The salted cod fish must be soaked in water for AT LEAST 24 hours, preferably 48 hours before cooking. This is necessary to leach out the salt. Change the water 2-3 times in a 24-hour period. If this is not done, the fish will be so salty that it will not be edible!
- Remove the fish from the water. Pat it dry with paper towels and set aside.
- Pour 1/4 of the olive oil into a large, open frying pan and turn on medium heat.
- Put flour onto a plate and cover cod in flour. When the frying pan is hot, place the fish in the pan and brown fish lightly on both sides. Set aside.
- Add the rest of the olive oil to the frying pan. Add the chopped onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is translucent. Add the tomato sauce, red pepper and bay leaf and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the cod fish back into the frying pan, reduce heat and let simmer for about 5 minutes.
Serve with bread.