- 4 litres milk
- 1 tablespoon rice flour
- 175g sugar
- 50g ground pistachio nuts
- 150ml double cream, lightly whipped
- a few drops of rose water
- 25g unsalted pistachio nuts, crushed
- Pour the milk into a large, heavy-based saucepan, bring it to the boil, then lower the heat slightly and simmer briskly, uncovered, for about 45 minutes until it has thickened and reduced to half its original quantity.
- Remove the milk from the heat and allow it to cool slightly. Dissolve the rice flour in a little of the thickened milk and pour it back into the pan. Cook, stirring continuously, over a low heat for 15 minutes until the mixture is the consistency of a pouring batter.
- Add the sugar and stir until completely dissolved. Remove the pan from the heat, cover and leave to cool completely.
- When cool, stir the ground pistachios into the mixture, then fold in the cream, rose water and crushed pistachios. Pour the mixture into the kulfi moulds and place in the freezer for several hours or overnight.
- Allow the kulfi to soften for about 5 minutes at room temperature before serving.