Esqueixada, also known as Esqueixada de bacalla, is a typical salad of Catalan cuisine that consists of desalted and torn dried and salted cod mixed with vegetables, such as tomatoes, onions, and sometimes pepper. The tomatoes may be chopped finely or grated. It is dressed with olive oil. Olives are usually added, as well as (occasionally) other ingredients, such as hard-boiled eggs.
On the 25th of March, Greeks have a double celebration. We celebrate the Greek Independence and The Annunciation (Evangelismos) of Virgin Mary.
The traditional dish of this day is Bakaliaros skordalia.
This year I’ve decided to try this Catalan recipe instead.
- 500 gr of salt cod (soaked, skinned, boned and shredded)?
- 1 white onion cubed
- 250 gr of vine ripped tomatoes (seeds removed) and cubed
- 1 green pepper cubed
- 60gr Kalamata olives stoned and cut in small pieces
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 150ml extra virgin olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
The salted cod fish must be soaked in water for AT LEAST 24 hours, preferably 48 hours before cooking. This is necessary to leach out the salt. Change the water 2-3 times in a 24-hour period. If this is not done, the fish will be so salty that it will not be edible!
- Shred the code, discard the skin and bones
- Place the cod in a bowl with the tomatoes, pepper, onion and the olives. Pour the olive oil over, mix ,season with black pepper and refrigerate, for about an 1 hour.
- Serve drizzled with olive oil , balsamic vinegar and with crusty bread.