Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1head of cauliflower, cut into 1 1/2-inch florets
- 100 gr manchego cheese, grated
- 4 pork chops
For the bechamel sauce
- 425ml milk
- a few parsley stalks
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 whole black peppercorns
- 1 slice onion, 1/4 inch (5 mm) thick
- 40g butter
- 20g plain flour
- salt and black pepper
For the pork chop marinade
- Olive oil, to brush for the marinade
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp clear honey
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- Mix the marinade ingredients together in a shallow bowl. Add the pork chops and turn to coat well. Cover with clingfilm and marinate in the fridge for a few hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. In a large pot, bring 1/2 inch of salted water to a boil. Add the cauliflower, cover and cook over high heat until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Drain the cauliflower in a colander.
- In the meantime prepare the bechamel sauce. First place the milk in a small saucepan and add the parsley stalks, bay leaf, peppercorns and onion. Then place it over a low heat and let it come very slowly up to simmering point, which will take approximately 5 minutes. Then remove the saucepan from the heat and strain the milk into a jug, discarding the flavourings.
- Melt the butter , and as soon as the butter melts, add the flour and, over a medium heat and using a small pointed wooden spoon, stir quite vigorously to make a smooth, glossy paste. Now begin adding the infused milk a little at a time – about 25ml first of all and stir again vigorously. When about half the milk is in, switch to a balloon whisk and start adding large amounts of milk, but always whisking briskly.
- Place the cauliflower florets in ramekins and and spread the bechamel sauce on top. Springle the gratin with the grated manchego.
- Bake for about 20 min or until bubbling and browned on top.
- Serve with the grilled pork chops .